The benefits of cycling are plentiful: from getting your daily exercise; breathing in some (semi) fresh air; saving your pennies; and to remind you how beautiful the city you live in is.
To help you get pedalling we’ve selected our favourite road bikes to ride about town this summer.
1. A modern classic; the ‘Hackett Cooper’ single-speed bike comes with a mustard colours Brooks Swift saddle and Brooks leather bar tape. £1295, www.cooperbikes.com
2. Called the ‘Speedvagen Road Machine’ for a reason, this bike is perfect for weekend racing as much as it is the daily grind. Hand-built in Portland, Oregon, the road machine is sturdy but light on its wheels. Get yours for $3,700 at www.vanillabicycles.com
3. Folding-bike brand, Dahon, have recently introduced their newest collection. Our favourite from the range is the ‘Ciao Electric’ bike. It has an inbuilt TranzX 250 watt pedal assist e-system to help you on your way, but you can remove the battery if you want a more traditional ride. www.dahon.com
4. The ‘Tour de France’ single-speed bike from Paris Cycles, sister-brand of Condor Cycles, is elegant, light and limited edition – only 30 are produced each year. Priced at £999.99, they’re available to order at www.condorcycles.com
5. The most extravagant bike on the market, this 24-carat gold leaf bike by Italian bike brand, Montante Cicli, comes adorned with python leather seats and handle bars and 11,000 Swarovski crystals. That explains the $46,000 price tag. www.montantecicli.it
6. Twelve months of collaborative development between Genesis Bikes and smart tubing manufacturers, Reynolds Technology, went into making the Volare 953 bike. The end product is a bike of supreme strength and exceptional agility. Buy one for £2499.99 at www.genesisbikes.co.uk
7. The most humanitarian bike around, the Africabike from Kona sees all proceeds from sales go to donating these exact bikes to poverty-stricken places in sub-Saharan Africa. Costing around £360, but prices vary. www.konaworld.com